Just the facts on proportional representation
See also the arguments for "yes" and "no" from Anton and Furstenau
• In the last 15 years there've been two referenda on electoral reform: 2005 and 2009.
• In 2005, 58 percent of voters wanted to change to the single-transferable vote system. It required 60 per cent to pass.
• In 2009 support for the STV system fell to 39 percent.
• Requests for voting packages must be submitted by midnight Nov. 23.
• Packages must be received by Elections BC by Dec. 7.
• They can be returned by mail or in person at a Referndum Service Office of the BC Center.
• Duncan's only drop-off location is the service BC Center at 5785 Duncan St.
• First past the post election system is used by roughly one-third of all countries.
• Some form of proportional representation is used in half of the countries.
• There are currently 87 MLAs. That number could increase to a maximum of 95 if a new system is adopted.
• There are 3,295,023 registered voters in the province.
• As of the morning of Nov. 20, Elections BC estimates some 779,200 ballot packages have been received. That reflects roughly 24 percent of the vote.
• Of 46,515 registered Cowichan Valley voters, as of Nov. 20, 6,880 ballot packages, or 14.8 percent were processed by Elections BC.
<! – View Comments ->